Fix MBR and Grub with Ubuntu livecd
I traded my Lenovo X60 for a S10 netbook and a Nokia N810. So far it’s ok, however I miss the trackpoint. I swapped out the hard drive from the X60 and put it into the S10 and Ubuntu works fine. When I try to load Windows, it gives me a Disk read error (press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart). I tried to fix it with a Windows CD, but managed to overwrite the grub bootloader. Heres what I did to fix it:
Fix MBR from Ubuntu:
1.I didn’t have an Ubuntu liveCD on hand so I took out the hard drive, put it in an external case and connected it to another computer running Ubuntu.
2. Downloaded the ms-sys program since its not in the repos anymore. ms-sys
3. sudo fdisk -l to find the disk number
4. sudo ms-sys -m /dev/sdb
Now I have the MBR but still get the same ctrl alt del error. I’ll take a look at it later.
1. Still using the external case
2. sudo grub
3. find /boot/grub/stage1
4. setup (hd1,3) <- this is where the Ubuntu install is
5. root (hd1) <- root of the Ubuntu partition